Position Title: Certified Nursing Assistant
Departmental Title: Nursing
Supervisor’s Title: RN or LPN
Perform various resident care activities and related non-professional nursing services.
1. Must possess, as a minimum, an 8th grade education.
2. Must be a licensed Certified Nurse Aide in accordance with the laws of this state.
3. Must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language.
4. Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such actions.
5. Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, victors, government agencies/personnel and the general public.
6. Must be a minimum of seventeen (17) years of age.
7. Must possess the ability and willingness to work harmoniously with professional and non- professional personnel.
8. Must have patience, tact, a cheerful disposition and enthusiasm, as well as the willingness the handle difficult residents.
9. Must be willing to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing nursing practices.
10. Must be able to relate information concerning resident conditions
1. Assist residents with activities of daily lining, i.e., bathing, hair care, nail care, mouth
care, feeding, back care and toileting. Perform any of the procedures included in NA
training manual. Follow instructions from the Resident Care Record. Completes and
documents all care as assigned accurately and in a timely manner. Assist residents
during meals as indicated, feeding those unable to feed themselves, serving and
collecting trays. Replenish ice and water in residents’ rooms as needed.
2. Transport residents using a wheelchair or assist resident to ambulate to activities or
special appointments, i.e., PT, Podiatry, Beauty Shop, etc.
3. Assist licensed personnel with special treatment, i.e., catheterizations and enemas, etc.
4. Store and pass clean linen, change bed linen when indicated and collect and handle
soiled linen according to procedure. Collect soiled personal laundry according to
procedure. Distribute clean personal laundry to appropriate residents and put it in drawers or closets.
5. Take vital signs, TPR, and blood pressure; record Intake & Output; empty and change
catheter drainage bags as directed.
6. Assist in keeping residents room neat, replenish personal care items as needed.
7. Observe residents and answer call bells in a timely manner to determine residents’
needs. Report any unusual conditions or reactions to the nurse. Take appropriate actions as requested or required by the situation.
8. Assist in cleaning equipment used on the nursing unit, i.e., bedpans, urinals,
wheelchairs, Geri-chairs, toothbrush holders, basins, and emesis basins, etc. according to policy.
9. Respond to Fire and Disaster alarms and drills according to procedures. Assist residents
to safety during an evacuation.
10. Direct visitors, answer telephone and run errands as directed.
11. Serve between-meal nourishments and assist residents who require help.
12. Participate in Inservice education programs, floor conferences and nursing staff meeting.
13. Participates in the maintenance of a clean and safe environment
14. Practices fiscal responsibility in the use of supplies, equipment and time management.
15. Follows all facility and nursing policies and procedures, including those related to
employee and resident safety